Get the Look Zooey Deschanel
BATD ON Jan 20, 2010 AT 2:22 pm
Zooey Deschanel stars as Summer Finn in the hit rom com (500) Days of Summer. We loved her quirky style in the film and fresh faced approach to make-up so we asked our regular celeb make-up artist Lizzie Court for some top tips on how to recreate Zooey’s signature style. “Zooey’s look is barely there beauty with matte, very pretty, pale skin and a hint of rosy cheeks finished off with fluttering eyelashes.” The look was also seen on the runway at Moschino Cheap & Chic, make-up artist Sam Bryant labelled the look as “super pretty, rosy pink girls on acid.” Lizzie suggests “priming skin with a good moisturiser.” This will give skin the perfect base on which to apply foundation. Try Estee Lauder’s Hydra Complete, it’s an instant skin brightener and keeps dry skin hydrated.
1. Using a damp sponge apply foundation, we like Max Factor’s Second Skin for light breathable coverage. Start from the centre of your face working out to avoid lines under the chin and blend well.
2. To mask tired eyes apply concealer under eyes. Lizzie suggests opting for a shade that’s one or two shades lighter and blend with a brush or fingers but try not to over blend.
3. Set the look with a pressed powder, keep it matte by “rolling” the powder over your face. Start in the centre and work out. Try MAC’s Mineralize Skinfinish/Natural for a finish to foundation.
4. For the eyes begin by applying a dark black/grey eye shadow try L’Oreal’s Colour Appeal Trio Pro in Grey Obsession. Lizzie explains “apply to the top of the eyelids with a flat brush and blend up to the eye socket. If there are any mistakes use a cotton bud dipped in a non greasy eye make-up remover for a quick fix.”
5. Next apply a black liquid or pencil line to the top of the lashes winging it slightly at the end. If you’re hand isn’t very steady I’d suggest using a pencil for easy application. My particular favourite is the Kohl Power Eye Pencil by MAC.
6. To get Zooey’s spidery eyelash effect I’d suggest investing in false eyelashes. Eylure do a fantastic selection. Apply them using tweezers to the edge of the eye.
7. Zooey’s fresh flushed look can be obtained by applying a lovely ‘strawberry pink’ blush. Apply using a large brush and sweep across the apple of your cheeks, try using NARS Orgasm.
8. Lips are filled with a natural pink lipstick which is patted down to look like a stain, try Estee Lauder’s Pure Colour Gloss stick in Sunlit Coral, It’s the perfect combination of gloss and lipstick but with just the right amount of gloss so lips aren’t left dry.
If you haven’t seen (500) Days of Summer take a look at the trailer and get a taste of Summer’s signature style below…