BATD ON Oct 06, 2010 AT 9:24 am

National Grid

National Grid

There’s a new academic year upon us and thousands of students are moving into their new private rented accommodation. However, most student digs aren’t always up to scratch, and many students are more concerned about where their next pint is coming from than how safe their new pad is.

But there are a few things that students need to be aware of as they move in. The people who manage the nation’s electricity demand and distribute much of its gas, National Grid, is warning students of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning – the odourless gas that can be fatal. Your landlord must provide you with a gas safety certificate to prove that your gas appliances have been inspected by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer. This could save your life. 

National Grid wants to make sure that while you have fun at uni you’re also staying safe. So they’ve teamed up with Greg Davies – aka Mr Gilbert from student sitcom The Inbetweeners – and sent him back to uni for a day. See how he got on by joining the National Grid Student Union page on Facebook.

National Grid are also giving you the chance to win an iPod Nano, a brand spanking new cooking set, an Inbetweeners DVD box set and a carbon monoxide alarm  to get your term off to a fun and safe start. To get your hands on this fantastic prize, just answer this question…

Key message: Speak to your landlord and make sure your gas boiler and appliances have been serviced by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Also, get a carbon monoxide alarm – it could save your life. If you smell gas, call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999. This number is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. For more information and to see Greg Davies go back to uni, visit National Grid Student Union on Facebook or

Click here for more competitions…

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments are closed.